What is Regulation D?
Federal Regulation D places a monthly limit on the number of transfers you may make from your Savings Accounts or Money Market Accounts (MMAs) without your physical presence being required. Transfers affected by this regulation therefore include:
- Transfers made using Online Banking
- Transfers made using Telephone Banking
- Overdraft transfers (made automatically to cover insufficient funds in other accounts; see below)
- Pre-authorized, automatic, scheduled or recurring transfers (see below)
* You are allowed six such transfers per month, per account (Savings or MMAs).
What transactions are not affected by Regulation D?
- ATM transactions.
- Transfers made to RRFCU loans.
- Transactions done in person at a financial center (including shared financial centers).
- Transactions sent in by mail or Night Drop with an original signature
What are my options once an account has reached its Regulation D limit?
You may complete withdrawals and transfers in person, by mail, or at an ATM.
If an account used for Overdraft Protection has reached its Regulation D limit, will overdraft requests be honored?
No, if the Overdraft Protection account is a Savings Account or MMA. In that case, you will receive a notice by mail and incur an Insufficient Funds change for every overdraft attempted beyond your monthly limit. However, if the Overdraft Protection account is a Line-of-Credit loan (which is not affected by Regulation D) the overdraft will complete normally. To apply for a Line-of Credit loan, apply online or contact us.
I have authorized a merchant to automatically withdraw payments from my Savings Account or MMA; do these count against my monthly limit?
Yes. These payments (which you might know as "ACH" or "EFT" transactions) follow Regulation D limitations. Any withdrawals attempted beyond your monthly limit will not be honored, and you will receive a notice by mail and incur an Insufficient Funds charge. To avoid this situation, make automatic payments using something other than a Savings Account or MMA, such as a checking account. Contact the merchant to arrange this change, and be aware that your request could take more than a month to go into effect.